Friday, June 22, 2007

Thanaka, the Wonder Powder

For those of you who are less versed in Myanmar ways let me briefly explain thanaka. This powder is worn by nearly all women and children in Myanmar and by a good percentage of the men. It is made by grinding the bark of sandalwood. Generally, a large chunk of branch is bought and it is freshly ground everyday. It is said to cool the skin during hot weather and it is a natural sunscreen and is overall good for the complexion.

All of the above information I learned a while ago. But, this week we met an 11 year old boy who enlightened us to the magical powers of thanaka.

We met Chris on the way to school. We first noticed him because he was the little boy biking in front of us while singing and dancing on his bike. Later, after we had biked a fair distance, Chris asks if we are tired. I said yes and ask him if he is tired too. He calmly says no and I am surprised! He had biked quite a long distance for such a small boy.

"Oh, you are very strong." I commented.

"No, I am not strong." Came the reply

"Then you must have eaten a very big breakfast"

"No, I at a small breakfast."

Confused at his responses I finally ask, "Then how come you are not tired?"

To this he pointed to his thanaka smeared face and said with a grin, "I am not tired because of tanaka. It gives sun power."

So, from a small child the wonders of thanaka were revealed.

Thanaka the super-powder. Try some today.

1 comment:

Kanishk Khetarpal said...

hello i am Aditya i want to use this thanka powder i lived in new delhi india can pls guid me from where i can get that
for contact my id is aditya_khetrapal@yahoo.com